Last Updated on
Believe it or not the realm of Artificial Intelligence has begun and it’s not settling down any time soon. Artificial Intelligence has the potential to revolutionize every aspect of our daily life, be it mobility, communication, economy, or even medicine. But there are questions that many of us don’t have a clear answer to. Also, there are some misconceptions regarding artificial intelligence. To be able to figure them out, we have to start from the beginning by addressing the questions we all need to have answers to, what is AI and how does AI work?
Table of content:
- What is Artificial Intelligence?
- What is AI?
- When Does a Machine Qualify as AI?
- How Does Artificial Intelligence Work?
- Advantages of Artificial Intelligence
- Types and Applications of Artificial Intelligence
- Types of AI Based on Abilities
- Types of AI Based on Functionalities
- Artificial Intelligence Examples
- Artificial Intelligence Future Projects
- Top Paying AI Jobs
Let’s start off with exploring ‘What is artificial intelligence?’
What is Artificial Intelligence?
As hype around AI is growing pervasively, there exists very few clear and understandable answers to the question, ‘What is Artificial Intelligence?’ Yes, artificial intelligence is intelligent behavior performed by machines. To break down that definition, artificial intelligence is any device that can perceive its environment and take action accordingly.
We all have heard that AI is machines mimicking human intelligence, right? But what does it mean? It means that with the help of Artificial Intelligence a machine can perform ‘cognitive human functions’ such as,
- Decision making
- Problem solving
Well if you’re looking for a one sentence answer to the question, ‘what is artificial intelligence’ here’s one.
What is AI?
Now, what is AI? Summing everything up, we can say, “A machine that can perceive its environment to perform cognitive functions with human-like intelligence is AI.”
So, we addressed the question, ‘what is artificial intelligence’, let us move ahead and see if every automated machine can be qualified as AI.
When Does a Machine Qualify as AI?
For a program to be able to be termed as Artificial Intelligence, it has to pass the ‘Turing test’, which established the fundamental goal and vision of artificial intelligence. What is the ‘Turing test’? Let us discuss that in brief.
This test is named after Alan Turing, who determined that if 30% of the humans who interacted with machines believed that they were interacting with human beings then the machine can be qualified as AI.
So far, we have answered the question, ‘What is Artificial Intelligence?’ Let’s find out how AI works.
How Does Artificial Intelligence Work?
Now in order to understand how a machine acts or reacts like a human, we need to understand how a human being acts or reacts.
- Human brain consists of almost 100 billion interconnected neurons.
- Human brain collects information from the real world to understand situations, objects, events and much more. This information helps the brain in the process of building knowledge. After building the knowledge our brain reacts accordingly.
Now, let us try to understand the same concept in terms of AI:
- We feed the machine with massive information which helps the machine in knowledge building or in knowledge engineering.
- Machines learn relationships between objects, situations, events, cause and more. Once the software completes analyzing the data and it makes decisions by itself.
- The process of feeding data to a machine and coming up with a human-like decision is also known as the modeling Here model is nothing but the software algorithm, which is consistently refined to make decisions like a human being. Now if the decision is inconsistent or doesn’t come near to a human-decision, then we debug the model, until we improve the outcome. This whole process is iterative.
Alright now that we have an overall idea of what AI is and how it works, let’s jump a little deeper and explore some of the advantages of artificial intelligence.
Advantages of Artificial Intelligence
Here’s a few key advantages that AI has to offer to our mankind.
- Faster process completion
- Continuous work
- Cost reduction
- Overcoming hazardous conditions
- Performance/quality increase
- Reducing errors
- Quality or performance increase
Types and Applications of Artificial Intelligence
Artificial intelligence can be divided into three categories:
- Type of AI based on abilities
- Types of AI based on functionalities
AI based on abilities
Let us find out what is AI based on abilities. Well this is again sub-categorized as shown below:
- Narrow AI or Weak AI
- Artificial General Intelligence (AGI)
- Super AI
What is Narrow AI or Weak AI?
- It operates within a limited context
- It is often focused on performing a single task extremely well
- Although these types of AI machines may seem intelligent, in reality, they are operating under many constraints and limitations.
What is Artificial General Intelligence (AGI)?
- It is the kind of AI we see in movies
- It is nothing but a machine with general intelligence, much like a human being
- It can apply that intelligence to solve any problem, but we are not there yet
What is Super AI?
- It is a hypothetical concept in AI research
- According to the concept, AI that can perform any task better than humans with greater efficiency eliminating all possible human errors falls under this category
Now that we are aware of what is artificial intelligence based on abilities, let us find out what is AI based on functionalities.
AI Based on Functionalities
Let us take a look at the types of AI based on functionalities:
- Reactive Machines
- Limited Memory
- Theory of Mind
What are Reactive Machines?
- This type of AI is the most basic one, which looks at the world around it and responds based on its observation
- This type of AI doesn’t form memory nor does it learn from past experiences.
- Example: IBM’s chess-playing supercomputer and Deep Blue
What is Limited Memory?
- This type of AI is similar to reactive machines except it has a small memory to use to make observations over a period of time in order to judge the situation and respond based on that
- Example: self-driving cars
What is Theory of Mind?
- This type of AI doesn’t exist yet
- According to the concept, it perceives the world around them, understand how other objects, and entities, then reacts to their actions and act accordingly
What is Self-Awareness?
- It is an AI with an idea of self. Sounds amazing right?
- This type of AI has consciousness and sentiments too. Although it is purely hypothetical.
Alright now that we are aware of different types of AI, let us move ahead and talk about some of artificial intelligence examples.
Artificial Intelligence Examples
We all know that AI has started impacting over every other field in the world. Here we will discuss artificial intelligence examples. Let us take a look at artificial intelligence examples based on different fields.
Let us take a look at some of the most significant applications of AI.
- Applications of Artificial Intelligence, AI in Health-care for Virtual Nursing Assistant
- Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Ai in Banking for Fraud Detection
- Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Ai in Digital Marketing for Online Advertising
- Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Ai in Food Industry for Personal Diet Coach
- Applications of Artificial Intelligence, AI in Education for Automating Grading System
- Applications of Artificial Intelligence, AI in Autonomous Vehicles for Smart features
- Applications of Artificial Intelligence, AI in Travel Industry for Predicting Pricing Pattern
- Applications of Artificial Intelligence, AI in Finance for Algorithmic Trading
Alright, let us move ahead and discuss the difference between AI and machine learning and deep learning.
Machine Learning vs Artificial Intelligence vs Deep Learning
Understanding the difference between machine learning and artificial intelligence, and deep learning can be confusing. So, here’s a table that compares the three side by side.
I hope this table clears the air. We got an idea of artificial intelligence and machine learning also deep learning while comparing them side by side.
So far, we have answered many questions such as ‘what is artificial intelligence’, ‘how does AI work?’, ‘Machine Learning vs Artificial Intelligence’. Now let us talk about some future ai projects and what AI has to offer to mankind.
Artificial Intelligence Future Projects
Let us talk about artificial intelligence projects. Here are some of next steps in the AI realm:
- One of the most exciting artificial intelligence projects would be, AI pets
- Another set of artificial intelligence projects include, creating emotional bond with human
- Creative writing is definitely going to be one of those interesting artificial intelligence projects.
- Some artificial intelligence projects, such as AI automated health check-ups, even smarter personal voice assistants, are going to make a lot of difference in the world.
- Some other future artificial intelligence examples can be even more exciting, AI virtual games and Cognitive Augmentation, are going to bring the new era of AI for sure.
This is true that AI has already stirred up many industries. But what it has to offer in future raises a lot of questions as well as continuously fascinates me. If you are also interested in AI and want to learn Artificial Intelligence, get on board and get certified as Artificial Engineer now.
Top Paying AI Jobs
While the field of AI is continuously evolving “as we peak”, it is going to open many doors of opportunities in terms of jobs as well, “till we achieve Super AI”. Here’s what the future job trends on AI look like:
In this blog on ‘what is Artificial Intelligence’, we have addressed many questions apart from ‘what is AI?’ We came up with a definition of AI then learned how AI works, talked about the Turing test, applications of Artificial Intelligence in many fields, such as, AI in in life-style, AI in healthcare, etc. Also, we discussed some advantages of Artificial intelligence, Machine Learning vs Artificial Intelligence. Apart from talking about AI and machine learning, this blog also highlights some of the future projects of AI and top paying jobs in AI.